Translation of wonder in Spanish:
- 1 uncountable (awe, curiosity) a child's sense of wonderwe gazed in wonder at the scenela capacidad de asombro de un niñohis success is an endless source of wonder to mecontemplamos la escena maravilladossu éxito es todo un misterio para mí or no deja de maravillarmeExample sentences
- She remembered his other expressions, wonder, joy, amazement; all positive feelings.
- But that fear was drowned out by the overwhelming emotions that filled her: awe and wonder, expectation and joy.
- For most of us this remarkable series of volumes will be a constant source of wonder, amazement, and re-thinking.
- 2 countable (marvel, miracle) the Seven Wonders of the (Ancient) World the eighth wonder of the worldit's a wonder (that) he didn't break his neckla octava maravillayou're not eating properly; no wonder you feel tired!es asombroso or es un milagro que no se matarawith so much unemployment it's little o small wonder that crime is on the increaseno estás comiendo bien; no me extraña que estés cansado or ¡con razón estás cansado!is it any wonder he has no friends?con tanto desempleo no es de extrañar que siga aumentando la delincuenciawonders will never cease! [humorous]¿te sorprende que no tenga amigos?to work o do wondersthey can work wonders with the little money they have¡eso sí que es increíble!I'll do my best, but don't expect me to work wondershacen maravillas con el poco dinero que tienenhe's worked wonders with this room it works wonders for your complexionharé lo que pueda, pero no esperes milagrosthat hairstyle does wonders for himes maravilloso para el cutisese corte de pelo lo favorece muchísimoExample sentences
- Explore the wonders of coral reefs, mangrove communities, and seagrass beds while identifying the marine organisms that live there.
- Divers can explore the underwater wonders of Eastern Indonesia on seven to eight days cruises to the islands of Komodo, Alor, Flores, Sumbawa and Lombok.
- And new galleries exploring the wonders of astronomy and the study of time and an improved astronomy education centre will be opened in the South Building along with a shop and cafe.
- This is a magical world brimming with wonders, diverse and remarkable.
- It's no wonder that across the country they increasingly regard their elected representatives as gutless wonders.
- It has been less than a week since the gutless wonder conceded the election way too soon.
- 1.1 (ponder, speculate) See examples: why do you ask? — oh, I was just wonderingwho can that be, I wonder?¿por qué preguntas? — por nada or por saberI wonder if $50 will be enough¿quién será?¿quién podrá ser?he said it was an accident — I wonderme pregunto si con 50 dólares va a alcanzarat first it seemed a good idea, but now I'm beginning to wonderdijo que fue un accidente — tengo mis dudasthe sight of them sitting together set me wonderingal principio me pareció una buena idea pero ya no estoy tan seguro or pero ahora tengo mis dudasto wonderverlos sentados juntos me hizo pensar
aboutsomebody/ -ingwe're wondering about going to Spain this summerI was wondering about Guy as a possible candidateestamos pensando si ir a España este veranoI wonder about you sometimesestaba pensando que quizás Guy pudiera ser un candidato1.2 (marvel, be surprised)a veces de veras me preocupasto wondermaravillarse atsomethingI wonder at your patiencethey don't trust him, but that's hardly to be wondered atme maravilla or me asombra la paciencia que tienesgone off with his secretary, I shouldn't wonderno le tienen confianza, pero eso no es de extrañarno me extrañaría que se hubiera ido con la secretariaExample sentences
- He followed her brisk stride, through the hallways and into her office, all the while wondering at the marvel that was Katherine Wood.
- Talking to them, we wondered at the freedom they had enjoyed from an early age.
- She wondered at the invisibility that her clothing offered her.
- Now I'm wondering if Sergei was surprised to see it, in ‘real life’ etc.
- I was surprised, wondering if there was anything wrong with me.
- But, because of my past, I think it took a lot of people by surprise. They wondered what was happening to me.
- 1.1 (ask oneself)I wonder whose book this ispreguntarseI wonder what he looks like¿(me pregunto) de quién será or podrá ser este libro?I wonder why he does it¿cómo será?me pregunto cómo seráI wonder why I bother¿por qué lo hará?me pregunto por qué lo haráI wonder if o whether he'll be thereno sé por qué me molestoI wonder whether I should take an umbrellame pregunto si estaráwe were wondering if you'd like to come around to dinnerno sé si llevar un paraguas o noshe wondered what to writeestábamos pensando si te gustaría venir a casa a cenar1.2 (be amazed) See examples: I wonder (that) she didn't fire you on the spotno sabía qué escribirI don't wonder you were upset!me sorprende que no te haya echado inmediatamente¡como para no estar disgustado!Example sentences
- Those of us who live in the provinces wonder at the obsessive efforts of some Tory politicians to ingratiate themselves with that lobby.
- Children wonder at the crossings as the light-blinking boom-gates close for the pistons.
- He would wonder at the human body's capacity to do all that and more!
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Mezcal is an alcoholic drink similar to