Translation of worry in Spanish:
noun/nombre (plural -ries)
- 1.1 countable/numerable (trouble, problem) preocupación (feminine) his biggest worry is his child's well-being su mayor preocupación es el bienestar de su hijo that's the least of our worries eso es lo que menos nos preocupa he has serious financial worries tiene serios problemas económicos our eldest son is a great worry to us nuestro hijo mayor nos da or nos causa muchas preocupaciones (Australia) [colloquial/familiar] no worries ningún problemaExample sentences1.2 uncountable/no numerable (distress, anxiety) preocupación (feminine), inquietud (feminine) this has been a great source of worry to her esto la ha tenido muy preocupada or inquieta there's no cause for worry no hay motivo para preocuparse or inquietarse she's been giving us a lot of worry (due to illness) nos ha tenido muy preocupados (due to behavior) nos ha estado dando or causando muchas preocupaciones
- Financial worries, a stressful job, redundancy or fear of unemployment, even moving house, can trigger depression in vulnerable people.
- While some were losing their nerve amid mounting financial worries, the bullish chief executive insisted that the opportunity had to be seized.
- In contrast to his early years, his later life was marked by financial worries, frustration and disappointment.
- He was too anxious and full of worry about the upcoming war.
- Poor Melindisar must be quite anxious with worry by now.
- The result will be worry and potential poverty for millions, and for some losing their homes when they cannot keep up payments after retiring.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo (-ries, -rying, -ried)
- 1 (trouble) preocupar, inquietar I don't want to worry him no quiero preocuparlo or inquietarlo what's worrying you? ¿qué es lo que te preocupa? it worries him to think that … le preocupa pensar que … that bill has been worrying me all morning esa cuenta me ha tenido preocupado toda la mañana that doesn't worry me eso no me preocupa (expressing indifference) eso me tiene or me trae sin cuidado I don't want to worry you with my problems no te quiero molestar con mis problemas
- 2 2.1 (harass, attack) acosar the dog has been worrying the sheep el perro ha estado acosando or molestando a las ovejas 2.2 (work on) he worries the problem until he finds a solution le da vueltas al problema hasta que le encuentra una solución the dog was worrying a bone el perro jugueteaba con un hueso
intransitive verb/verbo intransitivo (-ries, -rying, -ried)
- preocuparse, inquietarse she worries a lot se preocupa mucho worrying never did anyone any good con preocuparse no se gana or no se saca nada there's no need to worry no hay por qué preocuparse not to worry (British English/inglés británico) no te preocupes shall I wash the dishes? — no, don't worry ¿quieres que lave los platos? — no, no te molestes it's going to get much worse, don't you worry! va a empeorar mucho más, ya vas a ver you should worry, you have another job to go to [colloquial/familiar] ¿y tú qué problema tienes? ¡tú ya tienes otro trabajo! to worry
aboutsth/sb preocuparse poralgo/algn he never worries about anything no se preocupa por nada don't worry about us no te preocupes por nosotros I worry about her living on her own me preocupa que viva sola I still owe you some money — no, don't worry about it aún te debo dinero — no, déjalo
reflexive verb/verbo reflexivo (-ries, -rying, -ried)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
An estanco is an establishment selling tobacco, stamps, bus and subway passes and other products whose sale is restricted. Cigarettes etc are sold in bars and cafés but at higher prices. Estancos also sell stationery and sometimes newspapers.