n (plural -ries)
- 1.1 countable/numerable (trouble, problem) preocupación (feminine) his biggest worry is his child's well-being su mayor preocupación es el bienestar de su hijo that's the least of our worries eso es lo que menos nos preocupa he has serious financial worries tiene serios problemas económicos our eldest son is a great worry to us nuestro hijo mayor nos da or nos causa muchas preocupaciones (Australia) [colloquial/familiar] no worries ningún problemaMore example sentences1.2 uncountable/no numerable (distress, anxiety) preocupación (f), inquietud (f) this has been a great source of worry to her esto la ha tenido muy preocupada or inquieta there's no cause for worry no hay motivo para preocuparse or inquietarse she's been giving us a lot of worry (due to illness) nos ha tenido muy preocupados (due to behavior) nos ha estado dando or causando muchas preocupaciones
More example sentences
- Financial worries, a stressful job, redundancy or fear of unemployment, even moving house, can trigger depression in vulnerable people.
- While some were losing their nerve amid mounting financial worries, the bullish chief executive insisted that the opportunity had to be seized.
- In contrast to his early years, his later life was marked by financial worries, frustration and disappointment.
- He was too anxious and full of worry about the upcoming war.
- Poor Melindisar must be quite anxious with worry by now.
- The result will be worry and potential poverty for millions, and for some losing their homes when they cannot keep up payments after retiring.
Paro is the name in Spain for both unemployment and unemployment benefit. The period for which paro can be claimed ranges from three months to a year, depending on how long a person has been working. The amount paid decreases over the period of unemployment.
vt (-ries, -rying, -ried)
- 1 (trouble) preocupar, inquietar I don't want to worry him no quiero preocuparlo or inquietarlo what's worrying you? ¿qué es lo que te preocupa? it worries him to think that … le preocupa pensar que … that bill has been worrying me all morning esa cuenta me ha tenido preocupado toda la mañana that doesn't worry me eso no me preocupa (expressing indifference) eso me tiene or me trae sin cuidado I don't want to worry you with my problems no te quiero molestar con mis problemasMore example sentences
- Police had worried about trouble after the match but apart from a few incidents of drunkenness the upset didn't cause patrols any problems.
- But looking at the food which seemed somewhat unsanitary, we worried about whether it would cause other problems later.
- It made you do silly things and it gave you an awful headache, but we never worried about the risks, let alone the long-term health consequences.
- 2 2.1 (harass, attack) acosar the dog has been worrying the sheep el perro ha estado acosando or molestando a las ovejas 2.2 (work on) he worries the problem until he finds a solution le da vueltas al problema hasta que le encuentra una solución the dog was worrying a bone el perro jugueteaba con un huesoMore example sentences
- They would surely not be associated with the minority of hikers who leave gates open, stray from the footpaths or let their unattended dogs worry sheep but these people do exist.
- The law states that if dogs worry sheep in any way then farmers are within their rights to shoot them.
- It will certainly offer some protection in terms of sheep being worried by dogs that escape from hunters.
vi (-ries, -rying, -ried)
- preocuparse, inquietarse she worries a lot se preocupa mucho worrying never did anyone any good con preocuparse no se gana or no se saca nada there's no need to worry no hay por qué preocuparse not to worry (British English/inglés británico) no te preocupes shall I wash the dishes? — no, don't worry ¿quieres que lave los platos? — no, no te molestes it's going to get much worse, don't you worry! va a empeorar mucho más, ya vas a ver you should worry, you have another job to go to [colloquial/familiar] ¿y tú qué problema tienes? ¡tú ya tienes otro trabajo! to worry
aboutsth/sb preocuparse poralgo/algn he never worries about anything no se preocupa por nada don't worry about us no te preocupes por nosotros I worry about her living on her own me preocupa que viva sola I still owe you some money — no, don't worry about it aún te debo dinero — no, déjalo