Translation of worry in Spanish:
noun plural worries
- 1 countable (trouble, problem) his biggest worry is his child's well-beingsu mayor preocupación es el bienestar de su hijothat's the least of our worrieseso es lo que menos nos preocupahe has serious financial worriestiene serios problemas económicosour eldest son is a great worry to usnuestro hijo mayor nos da or nos causa muchas preocupaciones(Australia) [colloquial] no worriesningún problemaExample sentences
- Financial worries, a stressful job, redundancy or fear of unemployment, even moving house, can trigger depression in vulnerable people.
- While some were losing their nerve amid mounting financial worries, the bullish chief executive insisted that the opportunity had to be seized.
- In contrast to his early years, his later life was marked by financial worries, frustration and disappointment.
- 2 uncountable (distress, anxiety) this has been a great source of worry to heresto la ha tenido muy preocupada or inquietathere's no cause for worryno hay motivo para preocuparse or inquietarseshe's been giving us a lot of worry(due to illness) nos ha tenido muy preocupados(due to behavior) nos ha estado dando or causando muchas preocupacionesExample sentences
- He was too anxious and full of worry about the upcoming war.
- Poor Melindisar must be quite anxious with worry by now.
- The result will be worry and potential poverty for millions, and for some losing their homes when they cannot keep up payments after retiring.
transitive verb worries, worrying, worried
- 1 (trouble) I don't want to worry himno quiero preocuparlo or inquietarlowhat's worrying you?¿qué es lo que te preocupa?it worries him to think that …le preocupa pensar que …that bill has been worrying me all morningesa cuenta me ha tenido preocupado toda la mañanathat doesn't worry meeso no me preocupa(expressing indifference) eso me tiene or me trae sin cuidadoI don't want to worry you with my problemsno te quiero molestar con mis problemasExample sentences
- Police had worried about trouble after the match but apart from a few incidents of drunkenness the upset didn't cause patrols any problems.
- But looking at the food which seemed somewhat unsanitary, we worried about whether it would cause other problems later.
- It made you do silly things and it gave you an awful headache, but we never worried about the risks, let alone the long-term health consequences.
- 2 2.1 (harass, attack) the dog has been worrying the sheepel perro ha estado acosando or molestando a las ovejasExample sentences2.2 (work on) he worries the problem until he finds a solution
le da vueltas al problema hasta que le encuentra una soluciónthe dog was worrying a boneel perro jugueteaba con un hueso
- They would surely not be associated with the minority of hikers who leave gates open, stray from the footpaths or let their unattended dogs worry sheep but these people do exist.
- The law states that if dogs worry sheep in any way then farmers are within their rights to shoot them.
- It will certainly offer some protection in terms of sheep being worried by dogs that escape from hunters.
intransitive verb worries, worrying, worried
- preocuparseshe worries a lot
inquietarsese preocupa muchoworrying never did anyone any goodcon preocuparse no se gana or no se saca nadathere's no need to worryno hay por qué preocuparsenot to worry (British English) shall I wash the dishes? — no, don't worry¿quieres que lave los platos? — no, no te molestesit's going to get much worse, don't you worry!va a empeorar mucho más, ya vas a veryou should worry, you have another job to go to [colloquial]¿y tú qué problema tienes? ¡tú ya tienes otro trabajo!to worry
aboutsomething/somebodypreocuparsehe never worries about anything poralgo/alguienno se preocupa por nadadon't worry about usno te preocupes por nosotrosI worry about her living on her ownme preocupa que viva solaI still owe you some money — no, don't worry about itaún te debo dinero — no, déjalo
reflexive verb worries, worrying, worried
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.