- 1.1 countable (Law) (issued by a court)a royal writorden (feminine) or mandato (masculine) judicialto issue a writ (against somebody)un mandato realto serve a writ on somebodyexpedir una orden or un mandato (contra alguien)a writ of habeas corpusnotificarle una orden or un mandato a alguiena writ of execution/possessionun recurso de hábeas corpusun mandamiento de ejecución/embargoExample sentences
Example sentences1.2 uncountable (Religion)Holy Writ
- The applicant commenced proceedings in this Court for writs of mandamus, certiorari and injunctions.
- In September 2004, the applicant filed an application in the High Court for the constitutional writs of certiorari and mandamus.
- Where a court or a public officer wrongly refuses jurisdiction the exercise of the jurisdiction can be commanded by a writ of mandamus.
- This was the day that the writ for the election of members of this Parliament was returned.
- Clark said nominations for the election will close July 2, following the issuing of the election writs June 25.
- You would have to be developing this now, rather than waking up the day that writs are issued for election and wanting to build this within a couple of weeks.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
ESO (Educación Secundaria Obligatoria) is one of the stages of secondary education established in Spain by the