Translation of yoke in Spanish:
- 1 1.1 (for oxen, horses) yugo (masculine)Example sentences1.2 (burden, bondage) yugo (masculine) the yoke of slavery el yugo de la esclavitud under the yoke of sb/sth bajo el yugo de algn/algo to cast o throw off the yoke liberarse del yugo
- The god told him that he would meet a cow that had never borne the weight of a yoke or plough.
- The only noise was the snorting of oxen as they pulled against the yoke.
- The yoke was fastened to the pole with a complex of knots so thoroughly tangled that it was impossible to unravel.
- The yearning of the poor that the Independence of the country and the shedding of the yoke of an oppressive colonial past would bring wealth or at least a little more prosperity to them, still remain an unfulfilled dream.
- The worst abuses were officially abolished, but the yoke of oppression did return, and new laws depriving people of their freedom and their political rights were instituted.
- Artistic approach to the style has been undergoing modern transformation, emerging out from under the oppressive yoke of postmodernist theory.
- 2(plural yoke)2.1 (pair of oxen) yunta (feminine) 2.2 (carrying frame) percha (feminine), aguaderas (feminine plural)Example sentences2.3 (of dress, shirt) canesú (masculine)
- Women in brightly coloured headscarves and short Russian army boots carried pails of milk on yokes around their shoulders.
- By day he was working in a limestone quarry, carrying buckets of stones on a yoke.
- Experiment with this technique on shirt yokes and sleeve seams.
- It has the right yoke, waistband and pocket details.
- Foam usually isn't recommended for use on lightweight fabrics; however, it can be used in the yoke or neckline area of form-fitting garments.
transitive verb/verbo transitivo
- [oxen] uncir*, enyuntar he yoked the oxen (up) to the plough unció or enyuntó los bueyes al arado pay increases are yoked to performance los aumentos de sueldo están ligados al rendimiento
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
A patera is a boat with a shallow draft, used by illegal immigrants, known as balseros, to cross the Straits of Gibraltar from Morocco to southern Spain.