Translation of costringere in English:
- 1 (obbligare)to force, to compel, to constrain (a fare to do)costringere qualcuno a letto(malattia)
to lay somebody up, to keep somebody in bed(persona)essere costretto al riposo
to force somebody to stay in bedto be forced o compelled to restmi vedo o sono costretto a dare le dimissioniI have no option but to resignmi vedo o sono costretto a dissentire con teI must take issue with you thatsono costretto a chiedervi di fare essere costretto a cessare l'attivitàto be driven out of businessessere costretto a restare a casato be confined to the house, to be houseboundla Francia era costretta nella propria metà campo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com