Translation of epifania in English:
Cultural Note: Epifania
Twelfth Night – a public holiday and religious festival celebrating the adoration of Jesus by the Magi. By popular tradition it is also the day when la Befana, an old woman on a broomstick, brings children gifts: they hang up their stockings the night before and in the morning find them full of sweets, cakes, and little presents or, if they have been naughty, coal (nowadays usually made of sugar).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com