Translation of il in English:
articolo determinativo maschile singolare il, lo, la; pl. i gli le; in the masculine, il is used before a consonant sound, except before s followed by a consonant, and before gn, pn, ps, x and z; lo is used before a vowel sound - in the form l' -, before s followed by a consonant, and before gn, pn, ps, x and z; la is used in the feminine, but the form l' is used before a vowel
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com