What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Cultural Note: Tangentopoli
This term (which means “kick back city”) is widely used in the Italian media. It was first coined to describe Milan, where the judiciary had carried out an investigation into a series of episodes involving corruption, and was then extended to mean the whole system of illegal financing by the government parties which was uncovered in a famous inquiry in 1992-93 (see → Mani pulite).
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com