Translation of negar in English:
- 1(acusación/rumor/alegación)negó la existencia del documentono puedo negar que me gustashe denied the existence of the documentshe denied that the document existednegarI can't deny o I have to admit (that) I like it
que+ subjuntivono niego que haya mejoradonegó que la Tierra fuera planaI don't deny that she's improvedI'm not saying she hasn't improvednegar +he disputed the idea that the earth was flat infinitivoniega habértelo dichoshe denies having told youshe denies that she told you
- 2 (denegar, no conceder) (+ me/te/le etc) les negaron el uso de las instalaciones portuariassigue negándome el saludothey were refused o denied use of the port facilitiesno le puedo negar este favorhe still doesn't say o he still refuses to say hello to me¿cómo se lo puedes negar?I can't refuse him this favorhow can you say no (to him)?how can you refuse (him) o turn him down?
also: negarse verbo pronominal
- 1 (rehusar) negarse
a+ infinitivose negó rotundamente a recibirloto refuse to + infinitivonegarseshe refused point blank to see him a que+ subjuntivose negó a que llamáramos un taxihe refused to let us call a taxi
- Algunas serán concedidas, y otras las debo negar.
- Rebaza y Rodríguez también negaron los hechos en que se les involucra.
- Pero mi esposo siempre negó que tuviera algo con alguien.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.