- 1 1.1 (levantar) to pick up recoge la servilleta pick up the napkin lo recogió del suelo she picked it up off the floor no pienso recoger vuestros trastos I don't intend to pick up your junk o to clear up after you recogía el agua que se salía de la lavadora I was mopping up the water that was coming out of the washing machine recoge estos cristales clear up this broken glass 1.2 [casa/habitación] to straighten (up) (AmE) to tidy (up) (BrE) recoger la mesa to clear the table
- 2 2.1 [dinero/firmas] to collect 2.2 [deberes/cuadernos] to collect, take in recoger la ropa del tendedero to bring the washing in 2.3 [trigo/maíz] to gather in, take in, harvest; [fruta] to pick, harvest; [flores/hongos] to pick, gather no llegó a recoger el fruto de su trabajo he was unable to reap the fruits of his labor 2.4 [tienda de campaña] to take down; [alfombra] to take up; [vela] to take down 2.5 [pelo] le recogió el pelo en una cola he gathered her hair into a ponytail
- 3 (retener) [agua] to collect esta alfombra recoge mucho polvo this carpet collects o gathers a lot of dust
- 5 (ir a buscar) [persona] to pick up, fetch, collect; [paquete] to collect, pick up [equipaje] [Aviac] to reclaim ¿a qué hora pasan a recoger la basura? what time do they come to take away o collect the garbage (AmE) o (BrE) rubbish? el autobús pasará a recogernos a las ocho the bus will come by to collect us o pick us up at eight ¿puedes recoger el traje del tinte? can you fetch o pick up the suit from the dry-cleaners voy adentro a recoger las maletas I'll go inside and get the suitcases fui a recoger mis cosas I went to get o to pick up my things
- 7 (incluir, registrar) la obra recoge el trasfondo social de aquel momento the work depicts the social context of that time la imagen recoge el momento en que … the picture shows o captures the moment in which … el informe recoge estas últimas estadísticas these latest statistics figure o appear in the report esta acepción no la recoge ningún diccionario this meaning isn't included in o isn't in any dictionary su obra está siendo recogida en cuatro volúmenes his works are being collected for publication in four volumes un espectáculo que recoge tres de sus obras breves a show which brings together three of his short works
recogerse v pron
- 1 1.1 (volver a casa) to go home; (ir a la cama) to go to bed, retire 1.2 (para meditar, rezar) to withdraw
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
The most famous celebrations of Holy Week in the Spanish-speaking world are held in Seville. Lay brotherhoods, cofradías, process through the city in huge parades between Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday. Costaleros bear the pasos, huge floats carrying religious figures made of painted wood. Others, nazarenos (Nazarenes) and penitentes (penitents) walk alongside the pasos, in their distinctive costumes. During the processions they sing saetas, flamenco verses mourning Christ's passion. The Seville celebrations date back to the sixteenth century.