Words containing the letter q
In the spelling of English words, the letter q is always followed by the vowel u, for example:
Note that this rule does not apply to Arabic words such as niqab. See more words containing 'q' without the letter 'u'.
For more spelling peculiarities check out these pages from our Spelling section:
- i before e except after c
- Adding -ful or -fully
- -ize, -ise, or -yse?
- Adding endings to words that end in -our
- Adding endings to words that end in -y
- Adding endings to words that end in a double ‘l’
- Verb tenses: adding -ed and -ing
- What words in the English language contain two u's in a row?
Want to test your spelling and language skills? Try our puzzles and games.