Hidden Word Squares: Answers
1. Marianne stood on the train,
Wringing her hands with glee:
Soon she would arrive in town,
A go-go dancer she would be.
2. The moon shone on the village inn,
But no pal could Nellie see.
She climbed upon a nag so fair:
A novel setting for a love story.
3. Getting rid of visitors is not easy,
Especially when they come as a surprise.
I sleep uneasily, fearing their arrival,
Thus I’m made edgy, with bleary eyes.
4. Why call an elephant Jumbo?
Are all the elephants fat?
Most have an ear that is floppy,
But none the less dear, so that’s that!
5. Now orders should always be heeded,
It’s no very hard task, I would say.
If traffic lights are red or green,
Only bad ropy drivers will disobey.
6. Writing verses (O men!) is quite simple,
And poets are not mad, every one.
You will like it once you have tried it,
And sonnets are easily done.
7. The skipper at sea gave the order:
A butter pat for all of the crews.
The butter tub at last became empty,
So margarine was the best able-seaman could use.
Back to the questions
Return to Oxford Word Challenge home page