Russian Dolls: Answers
1. Put an insect into tarts to make underwear.
ant + pies = panties.
2. Put a word for ‘always’ inside an animal to get excited.
ever + fish = feverish.
3. Put a word for ‘representing’ inside an insect to make a word meaning ‘earlier’.
for + bee = before.
4. Put a word for ‘exists’ into your artistic inspiration to make a word meaning ‘ill-treat’.
is + muse = misuse.
5. Put the sixteenth letter of the Greek alphabet inside the residue of burning to make a word meaning ‘like a monkey’.
pi + ash = apish.
6. Put a condiment inside a word for ‘each’ to make a collection of psalms.
salt + per = psalter.
7. Put a heavenly being into a game to make a word for eternal.
angel + chess = changeless.
8. Put a word meaning ‘moved quickly’ inside a French house to make a tough stone.
ran + gite = granite.
9. Put a word for ‘on’ inside a dog to make a line on a map.
onto + cur = contour.
10. Put human males into a doctrine to make a block of flats.
men + tenet = tenement.
11. Put a silicate mineral inside a word for ‘talented’ to make a word meaning ‘friendly’.
mica + able = amicable.
12. Put ‘to rise’ into a peel to make gliding on a wide parachute.
ascend + paring = parascending.
13. Put a large vase into a gratuity to make a vegetable.
urn + tip = turnip.
14. Put a conjunction inside a male admirer to make a headband.
and + beau = bandeau.
15. Put a negative inside a number to make a projecting piece of wood.
no + ten = tenon.
16. Put a word meaning ‘insert’ into access to make artistry.
interline + pass = painterliness.
17. Put a word meaning ‘perform’ into miraculous food to get the Virgin Mary.
do + manna = Madonna.
18. Put a song inside a fishy man to make a ship conveying merchandise.
chant + merman = merchantman.
19. Put a coarse word into chronic alcoholism to make dry periods.
rough +DTs = droughts.
20. Put a word for vomit into an evangelist to make one sign of pregnancy.
retch + St Mark = stretch mark.
Back to the questions
Return to Oxford Word Challenge home page