Oxford Global Languages: Tamil working group
Oxford Global Languages is a major initiative from Oxford Dictionaries to build resources for 100 languages and make them available online.
As part of the project, the Oxford Tamil online dictionary will soon be launched. It will be an online space where language lovers and learners will be able to freely access lexical and other language resources.
To manage the website, promote it, and produce language content, we are looking for enthusiastic Tamil speakers to voluntarily manage a number of aspects:
- Manage the daily running of the website
- Manage a social media channel
- Monitor a discussions forum
- Write and review content (grammar articles, cultural pieces, blog posts, quizzes, etc)
- Promote the programme by reaching out to relevant organisations and individuals
- Organise and run 'translation events' – online and offline (if and when applicable)
Each individual or group of volunteers will be responsible for one of the aspects above. All training and support will be provided, and expenses paid when necessary.
The volunteers will periodically meet online to decide on actions and activities going forward, and review the ongoing work progress.
The volunteers will be formally recognised as part of Oxford Global Languages, as Language Champions, and will receive a certificate detailing their participation.
We are looking for 12-15 volunteers, and a varied array of skills, as different groups will be managing different tasks:
- Language skills: writing, proofreading and translating
- Working on social media
- Online community management (for the forum)
- Notions of marketing
The volunteers will initially commit for 3 months, and may go on for longer if they enjoy the work and it suits their available time.
This will suit graduate or post-graduate students of language-related disciplines, and language professionals and enthusiasts who would like to be part of the Oxford Global Languages project.
If you are interested, please get in touch and we can have an informal chat about the roles:
OGL Community Manager
Oxford Global Languages